In this one, I will tell you how I shortlisted the universities I want to apply to. Shortlisting universities is an important and painstaking process. This is my personal experience of how I shortlisted universities and how you can do the same. I have divided it into points so that it is easier for you guys to follow. Also if you are not interested in reading it, you can watch my youtube video right here –
Also if you have more questions or want to contact me, follow me on Instagram here – http://instagram.com/parthvijayvergiya/
I have written a blogpost on that which you might have already read. So this is the updated version of it. I just thought since a lot people are checking my email now, I consider re-writing it since it is sometimes easier for people to read than watching the videos. So here is the document which will help you in finding and shortlisting the university of your dreams.
I will try to keep it short and as useful as I can.
Join the groups
If you are not an Indian you might not understand, but Indians love to group up. As a fellow Indian I can assure that. As a result of that, there are so many groups on Facebook and Whatsapp.I would recommend you go on facebook and search for
- MS in US Fall 2015 (https://www.facebook.com/groups/msinusfall15/)
- MS in US spring/fall 2016 (https://www.facebook.com/groups/msinusfall16/?ref=br_rs)
- MS in US spring/fall 2017/2018 (I have been blocked from this group since I posted some of my video links. Hence I can not post any link #truth)
- MS in US spring 2018 (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1642861099303452/?ref=br_rs)
These groups have around 55k average student in them EACH. And the benefit of these if you’d like to ask, there are 55 thousand students who are planning/going/already in the United States or other countries where masters are possible.
Second thing download this app. I would like to apologise to Apple users because right now the app is not available for ios users. So I found this app on the group only. You can download it on Play Store – it’s called GRE to MS imp links https://goo.gl/t3i467. You can download it from here.
The backstory of this awesome app – A guy named Srujan made this app. He is going for his masters in Computers at North Carolina State University. I talked to him awesome dude.
When you will go on the app, you can find all the WhatsApp groups. Literally all the WhatsApp group, I have made a video if you want to watch what I am talking about. Click the link down below.
I would like you to watch the video to understand it better.
Make your profile
As a student who is planning for MS very well know how profiling works. See when you will have to send in your details to your seniors or your WhatsApp buddies who are planning/doing the same course which you want to go for, then you will have to make it easier for them. I am going to post some examples down below.
I know for some people it is a very basic thing, but while I was talking to some you guys I had to tell them that please write it this way.
See it is just easier for your senior to understand and then can give feedback to you in just a glimpse of your profile. And it is crazy when so many people send them so many profiles every day, it gets difficult. They are trying to help and they are busy with their own work as well.
- GRE score
- TOEFL Score
- UG university
- Publication if any
- Final year projects
- Extra curricular etc.
Go the Ranking website
I personally do not believe in University ranking and how can I back that statement?. I did not go for TU Delft which has a ranking #5 in the world for civil engineering. Rather I chose Purdue which is like #28 even below that UIUC (which is #12). I made the decision based on a lot of factors such
- Chances of funding
- Job prospects
I remember when I was talking to some seniors of UIUC, they told me that it is almost impossible to get funding for Construction Management and Engineering course which is why I was very skeptical about. But also at that time (month of March), I just had that decision with me. I was not in the space to be choosy with them. But later on when I got into Purdue, I went for it. Sometimes it is weird to go into a lower rank university even if you got one of the top unis, but you have to make the better choice seeing and considering all the factors involved.
Also, a lot of people consider location as a big factor while applying to universities but unless you are a CS guy, there is no need to apply to universities in California specifically. For CS, California can be a game changer because of silicon valley but for other streams, you will have to apply for jobs and internships everywhere so it wouldn’t matter much where you are studying.
The above statement is my personal choice and it may vary person to person. Here is the list of some website which might help you to narrow down university list.
- http://www.msinus.com – this website is a go-to for university listing
- http://yocket.in – great startup by some indian guys – also great discount on mailing universities transcripts
- https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2018 – QS is also a great website for ranking.
So there is more website, but I think these three will solve the purpose for now. Now do not abide by these rankings.
For example, the ranking is given in a way generalised format, which means for all the courses which come under CS eg AI, MIS, networks ( I am a civil guy, that’s the only number of courses I could think of at that time). So the point is ranking is fine but you have to dig deep for shortlisting universities
Eliminate from the list
You have the list, now you have to eliminate from the list. See I will tell you how I eliminated my universities based on my profile.
These are the following universities best for Construction management
- University of Texas Austin, Texas.
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas.
- Purdue University, Indiana.
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
- University of Southern California, California.
- Virginia Tech University, Virginia.
- Georgia Tech University, Atlanta.
- Carnegie Mellon University, Pennsylvania.
- Columbia University, New York.
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- University of Washington Seattle, Washington.
- North Carolina State University, North Carolina.
- University of Florida, Gainesville.
- University of Cincinnati, Ohio
- University of Colorado Boulder, Colorado.
- University of Maryland College Park, Maryland.
- Arizona State University, Arizona.
- Clemson University, South Carolina.
- Iowa State University, Iowa.
- Rutgers University, New Jersey.
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins.
- North Eastern University, Massachusetts.
- Michigan State University, Michigan.
- Michigan Technological University, Michigan.
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago, Illinois.
- University of North Carolina Charlotte, North Carolina.
- University of Texas Arlington, Texas
- Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersey.
- NYU Tandon School of Engineering, New York
- Vanderbilt University, Tennessee.
- California State University Fullerton, California.
- California State University East Bay, California.
- Kansas State University, Kansas.
- University of Houston Main Campus, Texas.
- Drexel University, Philadelphia.
So according to my score 313, I know I cannot get the top universities like Harvard or MIT. Hence I have already eliminated them and based on that I can also remove the last 10 universities in this list.
Since in my case I was planning to apply to 4-6 universities in the US and rest of them in Europe. So I had to make sure my list was short. After this, you can shorten the list by eliminating by other factors such as location, expensive states, job opportunities
For example states like Texas in comparatively much cheaper than a state like Washington. So that factor will eliminate another 5 universities. Another thing you can do is go to http://yocket.in and there is admits & rejects section.
Go to the tab and search for the courses and you will get a list of people who got into that university. So it looks like this, it can check that if with that GRE score they got a admit or a rejection. It’s not totally appropriate just to base in on GRE score since there is a lot of factors which affect it. But this will give you a great idea how much you should be scoring in GRE to get into your dream university.
This process will eliminate another 3-4 university and help you build a list of 15 universities.
Now send this list to seniors, join a WhatsApp group of the course and then post your profile and ask them to send a suggestion. Also, ask seniors to suggest it for you. That’s how I did it, that’s how everybody goes through the process. Also for finalising the university after you get admits is a different topic for another blog. Also, some of the people can connect you to other people from the universities, hence you can directly contact them and talk to them regarding this process.
I hope this helps you. If you liked this it will be great if you can follow me on Instagram @parthvijayvergiya . I post my journey there. Also I have a youtube channel which you can follow here – Youtube Channel . I have posted a couple of youtube videos there which you can watch them as well.
Thank you so much guys for reading this, I will see you in the next one!